Central Texas Breastfeeding Coalition is a private, not-for-profit organization whose mission is to improve the health and safety of mothers, babies, and families through breastfeeding education, advocacy, and collaborative partnerships of public and private organizations.
The purpose of this coalition is to promote breastfeeding. We hold a variety of yearly events, including:
- Hosting National Breastfeeding Month activities each August
- Providing information to aspiring lactation consultants through low cost, accessible info sessions held throughout the year
- Participating in the Global Big Latch On and Global Quintessence breastfeeding events
- Introducing legislation that benefits breastfeeding families and
- Working collaboratively with local and state organizations to achieve our mission
Healthy People 2020
"There is convincing evidence that breastfeeding provides substantial health benefits for children and adequate evidence that breastfeeding provides moderate health benefits for women. However, nearly half of all mothers in the United States who initially breastfeed stop doing so by 6 months, and there are significant disparities in breastfeeding rates among younger mothers and in disadvantaged communities."
Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies, Austin Chapter was formed in October 1991. In June 2002, the name was changed to Central Texas Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition, and in 2013 we changed our name again to the Central Texas Breastfeeding Coalition. Our logo since 2007 has been “Keep Austin Breastfeeding.”